Sunday, April 24, 2011

Tool Cabinet - Part 7 - The Plane Stand (or whatever it's called)

In my limited time I managed to knock out the the plane stand.  This is a knock-off from Becksvoort's cabinet.  It isn't well executed and has a lot of flaws but it serves its purpose well.  The main reason for this 'accessory' is to house my larger planes that won't fit in the plane till below it (e.g. the LN 5 1/2 and Stanley 5) pictured.  I'm not finished dividing out the space yet - not sure what else I want to put there (maybe planes that are too small to fit in the plane till below but too large to put in drawers).  Becksvoort's design calls for small strips of leather underneath the toe of the plane.  I will probably follow his lead.

The stand is made out of Mahogany, Birdseye Maple and Poplar.  The sides are 1/2" thick with 1/4" BE Maple laminated to the Poplar.  The thin plane separator strips are also BE Maple (all leftover scraps from the drawer faces).

The height of the stand isn't arbitrary (although I almost made that mistake). It has the necessary clearance below the shelf for the handle and blade of the LN 5 1/2 when the stand is open. The depth is also calculated to make sure that when the doors close the blade clears anything that may be hanging on the door.

The inside will house miscellaneous stuff like extra plane blades, plane oils, waxes and other things I don't use that often or that don't store well in drawers.

I think my next step is a removable chisel holder that will live on one of the doors.  Unfortunately (for the tool chest sake) I just received a honey-do-list of projects my wife wants built for our 3-year old's birthday coming up.  I'm guessing the tool chest is going to take a back-seat for a few months.  I'll try to keep it alive with small accessory builds while I'm building my daughters stuff (a small stove, refrigerator, table and chairs) for her bedroom.




No comments:

Post a Comment