Saturday, April 16, 2011

Tool Cabinet - Part 6 - The Doors

Well this post focuses on the doors.  They took a lot longer than I anticipated to get them mounted.  It wasn't easy.  I mounted the hinges flush with the door and carcass. I put a shallow rabbet on both the door and carcass the thickness of the hinge using my LN 140.  Balancing the door while trying to screw in the hinge (by myself) proved difficult.  I didn't get a picture of it because I didn't have a 3rd hand to take the shot.  So, I got a picture of the finished product (oh well).  This first shot shows the overall look of the inside (so far) with the doors attached.


This second shot shows a close up of the flush mounted hinge.  I thought going with a flush mounted hinge would be a nice visual touch but it proved necessary (not just cosmetic).  Installing a 4-foot piano hinge exactly square to the sides and parallel to its edge would have been impossible (for me) without the rabbet to 'lock it in'.  You can also see the dados in the doors left over from cutting apart the carcass.  The original plan called for cutting the dados after the box was cut apart.  I decided to do it before and thought I could use the dados in the doors.  I'm regretting that decision now. Some of them will be useful but not all of them.  I will have to get creative to figure out how to use them or fill them.


Here is a shot of the outside face of the doors.  I used some faux rails and stiles to trim out the doors (to hide the rabbeted inset panel).


Here's a side shot showing the hinge and door appearance from the outside.  Overall I'm pleased with the way things turned out.  The doors are heavy but these hinges seem to be holding up well and make the doors easy to open.


Next up... I'm changing the inside design a bit.  I'm not a fan of the swinging panels on the original plan (see first post) so I'm going with a different approach.  I have 2 or 3 planes that are too long to fit in the plane bays and I don't want to put them on the top shelf (reserved for the LN #8).  I'm going with a plane stand sitting on the second shelf.  I stole the idea from Becksvoort's cabinet.  This will hold my LN 5 1/2,  Stanley 5 and a few other miscellaneous tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment