Saturday, March 19, 2011

Tool Cabinet - Part 2b - More dovetails galore!

I start the long and tedious work of banging out the waste between the tails.  I've never been accused of being all that quick at the bench but holy smokes. I was worn out at the end.  I had to go back to the stones several times when all was said and done.


I finally got the waste on the tail boards cleaned out. This is the setup for marking the pins. This is where the 140 trick really earns its keep. It made this setup sooo much easier. I just slid the tail board up until it locked into the edge of the pin board.  I then clamped it down to the bench. The box of my Lie-Nielsen No. 8 (pictured under the tail board at the back of the bench) was almost the perfect height for supporting the board. Lesson learned - always keep your LN boxes.


I skipped the boring details of documenting the pin cutting/chiseling.  It's pretty much the same as the tails.  So now... the long awaited final product. I forgot to take pictures during the assembly process. That was interesting to say the least.  As I mentioned earlier I'm a Cosman graduate so I was taught - no test fitting.  Boy was I nervous.  I didn't want to spend 1/2 day cutting out the tails/pins and then I get a massive split during assembly.  I bought some Titebond Extend just for this assembly. It worked out well. It's a bit runnier than anticipated but saved my hide in the end. When you are gluing up this many pins/tails you need as much open time as you can get (and I don't have any hide glue).

I'm satisfied with the results - there are a few small cracks here and there but overall things went together well - no blowouts or splits at the sides.  


Next up I will be cutting this huge box apart to form the doors. Unfortunately I took the above picture of the finish product after I cut the doors off.  That is why you don't see the two half pins next to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment