Saturday, March 5, 2011

Roubo, Roubo, Wherefore art thou?

I've always been a fan of Andre Roubo.  We've been hanging out since the late18th century talking about the woodworking bloggers of the day.  Most threads have a common theme about the lack of power tools.  "How can we possibly rip such wide stock down it's length without a good 14" (with riser block) bandsaw?  Um, what's a bandsaw?  "It will be several years before someone invents it", Roubo says.

Ok, so my imagination gets the best of me while reading articles about Andre Roubo and his contribution to design and woodworking in general.  Just think, his woodworking bench designed in the 18th century still reigns supreme today.  It's hotter than Jordache jeans.  So, when my February issue of Popular Woodworking Magazine showed up on my doorstep I once again traveled back in time.  There were hints on the Pop. Wood blog there would be a Roubo sighting in the February 2011 issue.  They sure wouldn't disappoint.  Roy Underhill wrote an excellent article about Roubo's Folding Bookstand



Well my wife, who isn't a woodworking fan but lovingly supports my hobby (passion) seems to read my magazines before I do. She came across the folding bookstand article and immediately added it to my honey-do list.  You see, she has a passion of her own.  She reads blogs about building family relationships, loving one another, etc.  One such blog, I Take Joy is a daily read for her.  This is written by a wonderful lady who loves books and has provided such wisdom and direction to our family through books and blog that she thought it would be an appropriate gift.  Already signed-up for a conference she is hosting, my wife wanted me to build this bookstand so she could give it to her while there.  Well, trying my hand at this 'near all hand tool' project two days before she left (after procrastinating for over a month) proved interesting. 

A lot of you out there have been asking questions and wanting more (above and beyond the Popular Woodworking article) on how to make this stand; myself included.  Christopher Schwarz graciously posted a short video providing a few more clues into marking and cutting the hinges.  Although I'm not him, I took a shot at a more complete video on how to make this mysterious piece.  Growing up in a power tool world I'm still mastering my hand tool skills so don't cringe at my technique.  I hope you enjoy, and I certainly welcome your comments. 

A side note:  I built another bookstand after shooting this video and more closely followed Mr. Underhill's advice for rounding over the hinges instead of the MUCH easier 45-degree approach.  The end result (which is actually the gift we are giving) turned out much nicer.  If you are contemplating building one of these I suggest you go with the rounded hinges.  They are very pleasing to the eye and I'm sure your book will thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment